The best & free online JSON to YAML converter converts the JSON string/JSON file format into the YAML string/YAML file format.
Please copy and paste the JSON data, and upload the JSON file or URL to convert it into a YAML file format.
What is JSON?
JSON is built on two composite structures, array, and object.
- An array is a list of values distinguished solely by the order in which they appear. The text is enclosed in square brackets and expresses the value.
- An object is a set of name and value pairs distinguished solely by their names. The text enclosed in curly braces expresses the value of an object.
The data is only in a text while communicating between the browser and the server. And JSON is the text format. You can convert the JS response into a JSON response and send it to the server. Whatever the response you receive from the server in JSON form, you can convert it back to JS.
What is YAML?
At starting, YAML was Yet Another Markup Language. Clark Evans first proposed that idea in 2001, and Ingy döt Net and Oren Ben-Kiki contributed to the project. However, they realized that it is not a markup language; it's a data serialization language.
Thus, today YAML means YAML Ain't Markup Language. It provides the data in a human-friendly readable form, works perfectly with other programming languages, matches the user's expectations about data, and is considered a viable JSON language replacement.
One partial reason that makes the YAML friendly is that YAML consists of other languages. YAML can be used with all the programs that want to store and transmit data.
Some rules that you must follow while creating the YAML file.
- The YAML is case-sensitive.
- The YAML file should have a .yaml extension.
- Tabs are not allowed while creating the YAML file; however, the spaces are allowed.
- In YAML, newlines and indentations mean something.
What is the difference between YAML and JSON?
YAML is a lightweight, human-readable data representation language. It's primarily designed to make the format easy to read while including complex features.
YAML's standard data types are
- Null values
- And nested values
JSON is an independent language that provides a human-readable format because of its simplicity and is primarily used in web-based applications. It's the text written in JS object notation.
JSON's standard data types are
- And arrays
Thus, YAML is the superset of JSON and can parse the JSON with a YAML parser.
- In JSON, the comments are not allowed, but the hash/number sign in YAML represents comments.
- In YAML, the tab spaces are not allowed, but double spaces represent the hierarchy.
- In JSON, the text enclosed in square brackets expresses the value of an array, and the text enclosed in the curly braces describes an object's value.
- In YAML, the string quotes are optional but support the single and double quotes, but in JSON, the string should be double-quoted.
How to use the best & free online JSON to YAML converter?
Conversion is fun. The online tools help convert JSON string/JSON file format into the YAML string/YAML file format.
To do this, do the following steps.
- Open the best & free online JSON to the YAML converter.
- You can either copy-paste the JSON code, use the "Load from the URL" option, or use the "Browse" option to upload the JSON file.
- After uploading the JSON data, click on the "Convert to YAML" button to convert the JSON file format into the YAML file format.
- You can get the "resulted code" in the "Result" section.
- Please copy the code, and paste it into the desired location.
How to use the Load Sample Data option in JSON to the YAML converter tool?
First, always use some sample data to check the tool's working. To check the working of JSON to the YAML converter, do the following steps.
Do we keep a copy of your source code?
- Click on the "Load Sample Data" button.
- The sample data in the JSON format will appear in the upper section.
- Click on the "Convert to YAML" button to convert the JSON into YAML to get the sample result.
Protecting user trust is our top priority. We do not keep a copy of the source code that the user pastes for the JSON to YAML conversion.
Note: We do not keep a copy of the resulted code. Therefore, please copy the resulted code and paste it to the desired location for future use if you are happy and satisfied with our JSON to YAML Converter.